I don’t go to many press events. It’s not that I don’t like getting to taste new and interesting things, or check out restaurants before they open and to get a glimpse of what they’re going to do. But I prefer to go and have a relaxing time, and to enjoy and experience the place as a customer would. Another thing that’s challenging about press events is that they can sometimes be a scrum, as anywhere where there’s complimentary food or drink involved.
That happened to me when I attended a cocktail soirée at a very posh hotel. I was personally invited by the publicist and the bartender was quite well-known and quite competent. And as I found out when I arrived, also quite dashing.
GWM Bookcases Iron Small Table Coffee Table Modern Living Room Mini Bedroom Simple Round Small Table (color A, Size 36 38cm) Coffee oatmti1173-Furniture
Summer has just started and temperatures have been hovering close to 100ºF (37ºC). It’s been hard to stay cool but I’ve learned that temperatures are lower first thing in the morning, so I wake up earlier and get some tasks out of the way before the full blast of heat begins to slowly roast me, and my kitchen. The other thing that’s hitting us at…
Not a day goes by when I don’t get a message requesting a restaurant recommendation in Paris. (Curiously, I also get asked for restaurant recommendations in cities I’ve never lived in, or even visited.) My promise to you is that I’ll only write up or recommend places I’ve been to, and with apologies to all who’ve asked for restaurant recommendations on social media, if I…
We’re buckling down for a heatwave that’s on its way, with temperatures heading up to 40ºC (104ºF). Fortunately I’ve got a small stockpile of fans I’ve been collecting over the years, and few bottles of rosé in the refrigerator. (And my refrigerator actually has an ice-maker.) I sometimes bring a bag as a host gift when invited for dinner…but this week, I’m saving them all…
- Premium Soft Round Toilet Seat
- Avanti By the Sea 4-Piece Towel Set, Rattan
- RCH Hardware CH-07-AB-3 Decorative Polished Solid Chain for Hanging, Lighting-Standard Unwelded Links (3 ft 1 Yard) (Antique Brass)
- TRECT Bathroom Sink Basin Tap Brass Mixer Tap Washroom Mixer Faucet Basin faucet swivel pull-down cold and hot water tank, the blender Kitchen Sink Taps (color C)
- Vita Mix Clear Compact Blender Container Only with Wet Blade - No Lid, 32 Ounce - 1 each.
- Homevol Bookcase Book Shelves 5-Shelf Bookshelf Industrial Style Metal and Solid Wood Free Vintage Standing Storage Shelf Units
- Ywqwdae Kitchen Tap Bath Basin Bathroom Sink Mixer Tap Bath Faucet Ceramic Copper Single Handle Single Hole Hot and Cold
- Greensmart Décor Artificial Boxwood Ficus 20 x 20 Greenery Mats, Set of 4
- Bijjaladeva Antique Bathroom Sink Vessel Faucet Basin Mixer Tap Kitchen faucet hot and cold dishes throughout the copper wash basin sink swivel brushed Faucet
- Brentwood Home Pfeiffer Therapeutic Gel Foam Wedge Pillow, Made in USA, 11-inch
- color Changing Crystal Widespread Crystal Waterfall Lights LED Light Ceramic Valve Two Handles Three Holes Chrome, Bathroom Sink Faucet,2,2
- ISpring F22-75 3-Year 75GPD Filter Replacement Supply Set For 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Systems
- Basketball Semicircle Doormat Cartoon Classical Balls Competition Scoring Professional Tournament Halfmoon doormats H 39.3 xD 59 Cinnamon Black White
- ETERNAL QUALITY Bathroom Sink Basin Tap Brass Mixer Tap Washroom Mixer Faucet The grilling white painted Washbasin Faucet hot and cold gold plated copper surface basin-wi
- Antique Copper Heightening Kitchen Faucet, Retro One Hole Sink Tap Single Handle Ceramic Valve Mixer Tap,Hardware Accessories
- Copper kitchen sink hot and cold water 360° square redating faucet kitchen sink bathroom hot and cold water faucet ceramic ceramic faucet
- Makeup Mirror,Mirror 1x and 10x Magnification, Two-Sided Mirror with Stand
- Tattoo Semicircle Doormat Head of Wolf The Fierce Warrior Big Dog of The Forest Winter Season Theme Image Halfmoon doormats H 39.3 xD 59 White and Black
- 45.527.513cm Shelf Floating Wall Mount Shelf Bracket Holder Stand for TV Box Apple TV Router Set Top Box Mini PC TV Accessory Game Console (Size 45.5 27.5 13cm)
- Geometric Half Round Door mats Chevron Zigzag Lines Geometric Pattern Wavy Stripes Vintage Nostalgic Bathroom Mat H 35.4 xD 53.1 Pale Yellow purplec
- PENGFEI Headboard Bed Backrest Cushion Flax Waist Upholstered Relieve Fatigue Washable, with Without Headboard Specifications, 3 colors, 8 Sizes (color B-Green, Size 120CM)
I don’t quite exactly when things shifted, but for many years, if you wanted salt you either bought granulated table salt, usually sold in a round canister for less than a dollar, or kosher salt, which came in a big box. Kosher salt didn’t get its name because it’s kosher, it’s because the bulkier crystals are a better size for salting meat, which koshers it….
Not many of us saw it coming, certainly not me, way back in 1989 when La Brea Bakery opened, and I thought, “Who the heck is going to buy freshly baked bread in Los Angeles? That’ll never work…” And the rest, as they say, is history, as La Brea Bakery and Campanile restaurant, the adjacent restaurant in the same Spanish-style building (that Charlie Chaplin built),…
Here’s a round-up of places I visited recently in New York City. One happy change (which is also happening in cities elsewhere) is the proliferation of excellent bakeries making top-quality artisan bread, as well as bakeries with a global focus. While Americans don’t buy bread daily, as the French do, you can get terrific bread and pastries if you know where to look. Restaurants…
Papaya isn’t a very common fruit in many parts of the world. But if you go to the tropics, you’ll see them piled up at markets, and even alongside the roads, where people are selling the overload from their trees. Papaya is a curious fruit that is often just out of the sightline of our radars, and is usually eaten fresh. Some varieties are spectacularly…
When I originally came up with this ice cream, the year was 2009, which seems like a long, long time ago, in so many ways. Absinthe had been banned in France since 1914, blamed for a host of societal ills, even being accused of causing people to go crazy (which has since been debunked; most blame additives added to cheap absinthe, which caused brain damage),…